Monday, April 26, 2010

Sweet 16!

Since this is supposed to be a quilting blog, I'll open with a quilt.
I made these tessellating stars from a fat quarter pack of African fabrics for Bill's office 6 years ago and haven't seen it since. I love how it looks on my yellow walls.


It came home for a visit to help decorate for Julia's birthday party.
I was pleased to see that I had done a really nice job on the quilting, and a little disappointed that my work has not really improved or changed much in 6 years. I need to work on that.


The party was a mother daughter open house to support African women. We sold Bead for Life jewelry and Zienzele baskets. Please visit their websites and do whatever you can to help. Women can make a difference in the world!


Speaking of women making a difference, we finally watched this documentary about the civil war in Liberia. Bill was living there in 1980 when the first coup took place and Liberians suffered through more than 20 years of unspeakable horrors. This is a very powerful film.


To quote the Today show, "on a lighter note," cupcakes!
The letters were die cut from Amy Butler paper and stuck on toothpicks with glue dots. So easy and cute!


Julia wanted to go to her favorite place on her birthday- Beavertail Lighthouse in Jamestown, RI. They love climbing on the rocks, and keeping up with Pete was quite a workout! He was testing out his new Merrill hiking boots. They work!


Our Sweet 16!
I can't tell you how I feel about my daughter, or I'd be sitting here in a huge puddle of tears! If you have been reading my blog, you already know how awesome she is.


I love these kids!


We packed a picnic lunch (OK, we picked up some subs!) and discovered this is the best place to play bocce! For the record, Pete and I kicked their butts.


The flowering trees are blooming in quick succession this year. Usually, only the PJM rhodies and magnolia are blooming for Julia's birthday. (Last year, they were almost 2 weeks late.) This year, the lilacs and crab apples are starting already!


We have another busy week ahead with Julia's Confirmation on Wednesday. I'll try to not let the whole week go by without another post. I'd like to show you some quilts from a local show last weekend.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

happy birthday Julie!