Thursday, October 11, 2012

Color Palettes

I've been playing with color palettes and wanted to share what I've found.

I'm sure you're all familiar with Design Seeds. This fabulous site provides seemingly endless color palettes based on gorgeous photos. Here's one of my favorites.


But what if you want to create a palette from one of your own photos? There are several free options out there for that! I really like the Palette Builder on Play Crafts. You simply load an image from your computer and a palette is generated. You can adjust the number of colors and the variety, then save your palette. Here's my little friend again.

Next I tried DeGraeve's Color Palette Generator. On this one, you enter the URL of an image, which means it needs to live online. Pull one from your own website or flickr photostream, or anywhere online. I can't figure out how to save the palette, so I took a screen shot to show you.


Judy featured Chip It! from Sherwin Williams several months ago. This is a great one if you are in the market for new paint colors. It works a little bit like Pinterest in that you can Chip photos online as you surf. The original links are preserved, which is nice. Create a free account and your palettes will be saved. (Again, I had to take a screen shot.)


 I'm sure there are more options out there. Let me know if you have a favorite.

So now what? I started with all this because I need to make an all solids table topper for a Mod Guild challenge. Let's see what happens with this sunrise photo.


Here's my stack of solids, ready to go. Not bad!

Black, Medium gray, Flamingo, Snow, Banana, Brown

Now to choose a pattern. Pinterest and flickr are calling!

3 comments:

Ms. C said...

This is really fun and addictive! Thanks for sharing it.

Debbie said...

I'd heard of this possibility so really appreciate your post! Thanks Tina!

CapitolaQuilter said...

Play Crafts is so much fun, thanks for spreading the word. I love the fabrics you chose.