Sunday, April 28, 2013

Star Fling

 Isn't this cute? I finished this baby quilt late last night. Eight blocks and a bag full of leftover parts were donated to Ninigret's outreach committee. I've moved that bag around for a couple of years, and yesterday was the day to finally get the quilt done!


The fabric is from the Spring Fling collection by Terry Atkinson and Liz Lois for P&B from 2002. The original pattern is called Star Fling. I was able to pull together enough of the bits to make four more blocks. The sashing strips were already cut to 2" and there was enough of the blue to go around the outside edge.


There was only one piece of yardage in the bag: 3/4 yd of the green vine that I used on the back. Those chunky rectangles that I pieced the stacked coins from were already cut that size! And there were just enough of the 2.5" strips left for the binding. (I trimmed them down to 2.25".)


 I finished the top at about 9pm and couldn't stop there. I stole borrowed a piece of batting from another outreach project, spray basted, and did some quick swirly loopy quilting. I finished the machine stitched binding at about 11:20pm. The quilt is about 33" X 42". It will be donated to either Habitat for Humanity or Project Linus.


It is such a gorgeous Spring day, I couldn't resist trying some new locations around the yard for photos. The shadows are too harsh in this one, but I love this magnolia tree.
 

I hope you are all enjoying some sunshine today, too!

4 comments:

Deborah said...

This is an adorable quilt. So nice that it will find a happy home!

WoolenSails said...

That is a gorgeous quilt, love the use of colors and fabrics.

Debbie

Carla said...

Very nice little quilt. Such happy colours : )

Teri Bock said...

I’ve been scouring the web for Terry Atkinson’s Star Fling quilt pattern after seeing this blog post. It long gone. I am also heavily involved in our guild’s Comfort Quilt program.

We are getting ready to purge and sort our Comfort Quilt Fabric Storage Trailer. If this pattern uses fat quarters we could package quite a few kits for our members to sew!

Do you happen to have a copy of the pattern? It was a free pattern but I can’t find a copy anywhere. I would really like to try this!

I’d appreciate any help you can provide.

Kindest regards,

Teri Bock
Tehachapi Mountain Quilters
P. O. Box 878
Tehachapi, CA 93581