Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Anita!

 I finally had the opportunity to meet my quilty idol, Anita Grossman Solomon. I'm sure I've mentioned more than a few times how much I love her books. And how I think she's a genius. She has a knack for seeing block construction in new ways.

At Aunt Carrie's, enjoying clam cakes, chowder, fish & chips, and key lime pie.

I was thrilled to spend two short days with Anita when she visited Ninigret Quilters last week. Julia couldn't wait to show Anita the Old Italian quilt she made for Fred. They were so cute together. Anita loved hearing Julia's Girl Scout camp stories over dinner.


I made a few Anita's Arrowhead blocks during the workshop on Wednesday, then went home and made more. And more. And more.  If you don't have the opportunity to take a class from Anita in person, I highly recommend her Craftsy class, Traditional Blocks Made Simple. As a bonus, you'll receive an e-book version of Rotary Cutting Revolution included with the class materials. No joke. It is revolutionary!


I needed a break after three days of arrowheads, so I busted out the striped stash.  


This is the result of just a few hours of work using Anita's technique for making Xcentric and Concentric blocks. Aren't they fun? I must make more!


Random fact: Bill and I both have sisters named Anita.
 
While I was sewing, Bill and Pete went on a canoeing adventure that started on this glassy pond. That was the easy bit. Off in the distance is the entrance to a small river that they hoped to paddle down, but it was blocked by many, many downed trees. They climbed over, snuck under, portaged around, and slowly worked their way downstream. Our 15-year old (now leaky) canoe is being retired.
 

Back to the machine. Will it be more arrowheads or more strips?

7 comments:

WoolenSails said...

What fun, it is nice to meet up with people who we meet online. Is that Warden's Pond? We have gone down the river from the URI road, it is narrow in some areas, but good for kayaks.

Debbie

Barbara Chojnacki said...

I loved meeting Anita, and am enjoying making my arrowhead quilt! I've had her second book for a while,now I'm going to treat myself to Rotary Cutting Revolution.

Cathy said...

What fun! Not sure which I like more - the blocks from your class or the concentric squares. I think I need to see the arrowhead blocks laid out before I commit. Enjoy these last days of summer!

Debbie said...

Very cool!!

Villas for Rent said...

These quilts are looking so adorable thanks you for the sharing.

Gina said...

How awesome to meet a quiltI idol!! The blocks from your class are very pretty and the stripey squares are fun! They remind me of a design you would see in those things that look similar to an empty toilet paper roll. You would hold it to your eye and look towards the light and turn it and 3D images would pop. I think maybe they are called kaleidoscopes? How fun to have 2 vastly different projects to work on!

CapitolaQuilter said...

How exciting to spend time with Anita. The Old Italian Block quilt that I made last year is still one of my favorites, such a rewarding process and result.