Wednesday, March 12, 2014

WIP Wednesday- Quilt Retreat Edition

After a wonderful weekend away at a quilting retreat, I have lots to show you!

Start & Finish: I made a little quilt to enter in the weekend quilt challenge. The theme this year was "Things we Bring to Quilt Camp." My first year at the retreat, I didn't bring enough thread. I won't make that mistake again!


I got to use some tiny scraps and my favorite Kate Spain print for the border. I used some silly fabric on the back.  The triangles are pockets for a hanging rod.


Of course, it was pieced and quilted with Aurifil thread.  I like the way the tiny quilting in the background and no quilting in the spools makes the spools pop. My little quilt is called "Going, Going, Gone."


New: The Saturday workshop started with a jelly roll race. Here are our yummy supplies.


I was so excited to sew on my Featherweight all weekend. She did great, with just a minor bobbin winding issue.


Here we are with our latest WIPs. The first time I attended this retreat, I was pregnant with Julia. Twenty years later, she was there with me again!


Someday, we will be inserting circles into these tops using the Piec-lique technique. Our fabric and design have been chosen, we just need to find some courage and time.


Ongoing: I finished 12 more blocks in the past week for my Farmer's Engineer's Wife quilt.


This is what happens when you try to sew after midnight!


Enjoy the rest of your week!

http://www.freshlypieced.com/

16 comments:

amy said...

wow, you've got so much going on!! excited to see those circles put in :)

Tina in Boston said...

I love the little thread quilt!! What a cute idea. And kudos for tackling the farmers wife"

Scrapatches said...

Your mini quilt is sew sweet. I like the dots block. Sewing after midnight can mean resewing later in the morning, but that never stops me from stitching in those quiet hours of just me and my sewing machine and a kitty on my lap ... :) Pat

Rike Busch said...

Dear Tina,
what a super sweet tiny mini-quilt! Really good, that you made a photo with the spool. I also love Aurifil and my mom is using it for making bobbin lace. She started making bobbin lace when I was just some months old and she took me with her. And now, I make bobbin lace for myself (Ok, by now I only patch and quilt). ;)
Greetings, Rike

Renee said...

ha! Love your going going gone quilt! Great idea and execution!

WoolenSails said...

Wonderful pieces and fabrics, fun to work on happy colors with this long winter. You and Julie have the same smile:)

Debbie

AnnMarie said...

Glad I'm not the only one sewing wrong pieces together! Only mine was in the light of day.

One English Teacher said...

That spool quilt made me chuckle :-) What a fun quilt!

Gina said...

both your spool and jelly roll quilts are so pretty! I love the bright colors and the quilting is perfect!!your Farmer's wife, i mean Engineer's wife blocks are looking good too!

margaret said...

what a delight your mini quilt, so colourful and yes I too know about ruing out of thread! So good your daughter ( you look like sisters) is following along the quilt route with you, neither of mine or my granddaughter are interested. Think it is time I either bought some jelly rolls or cut some strips seeing what you are doing. The engineers blocks look great

Willow River Piecemakers said...

LOL about sewing after midnight! Made me smile! Your race quilts are great! Can't wait to see the finished projects!

Sam said...

Love all your projects here. The mini quilt is fab. Jelly roll race quilts look great too, I have lots of jelly rolls waiting to be used, may have to give one of these a go!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I can't wait to see your jelly roll/circles quilts!!!

Cathy said...

Don't wait too long to put in those circles!!!

Carla said...

Love the going going gone. It is sew cute.
I like how you sew after midnight

Martha said...

Love you spool mini, is there a pattern or did you make up?
Marthafipps@gmail.com