Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sewvivor- Seaside Stitches- Tina Craig

I'm very excited to share my audition piece for Sewvivor Season 3- Quilting Edition. Sew-vivor is a sewing competition hosted by Family Ever After. Rach has done an amazing job of assembling the judges and prizes. It will be fun to watch the competition progress, even if I'm not selected to play along.

Please allow me to introduce my audition quilt,
T is for Tina.


This quilted wall hanging was made in 2013, following a visit to our guild by Anita Grossman Solomon. I've been a huge fan of hers for years, so it was pure joy to spend two days with her last summer. She had a knack for devising ingenious methods to make piecing easier and more fun. Such was the case with her brand new T quilt. 

Anita and me with take out from Aunt Carrie's

The pattern was being submitted to Quiltmaker magazine, and Anita graciously gave me a sneak peek. I wasted no time getting it pieced, but then had to decide how to quilt it. On the pic below, I've drawn a large orange T to indicate the area that was quilted with parallel straight lines. The area outside (under) the T was quilted with free motion flowers.


Here, you can see the contrast between the straight lines and the curvy flowers.


The corner squares were paper pieced and micro-stippled in the background.


The small inner border is quilted with a swirly scroll. The outer border is quilted with a free motion fan that I learned in Angela Walter's Craftsy class.


I needed to take new pictures for this entry, so we brought the quilt along on a hike this weekend. Indulge me as I show off the beautiful Rhode Island coast.


This quilt makes me happy. I had wanted to make a T quilt for myself since I started quilting 20+ years ago. Tessellations are cool. The colors remind me of places like this. And I had so much fun making this quilt!

My amazing husband is squatting down behind the quilt!


T is for Tina
by Tina Craig, Seaside Stitches
Designed by Anita Grossman Solomon
Blue & green scraps, Kona white background, V&Co border
47" X 48"
Started September 3, 2013
Completed November 4, 2013

14 comments:

Rach H @ FamilyEverAfter said...

Oooo, thanks for entering Sewvivor! This is gorgeous! I love the contrast of the quilting patterns. And the colors. Just lovely!

Rike Busch said...

What a great quilt! Great combination of pattern and quilting.
Greetings, Rike

Sharon said...

I am so glad you entered Sewvivor - can't wait to vote for the T quilt!

margaret said...

very nice and yes the variety of quilting works so well. Also impressed that you started and finished it so quickly, no lying around as a flimsy for ages like most of is seem to do, best of luck

Unknown said...

what a great looking contrast between the straight lines and the curvy lines in the quilting.
best of luck to you in the auditions!

Gina said...

yay for you entering Sewvivor!! Such a fun entry and i will have my fingers crossed for you!

Pat Dewey Giarrusso said...

Nice job, Tina, you amaze me with all you accomplish. So jealous! And you have a great husband!!

QuarterMileQuilts said...

Great work! Love the amount of detail you have in the quilting! It's gorgeous! Best, Kate

Cassie said...

I love the quilting on this! What an amazing piece of work. Your passion really shows. Best of luck!

Debbie said...

Good luck Tina!

CityHouseStudio said...

This is such a gorgeous quilt, Tina!
Your quilting is just amazing -- it makes the quilt!

Marci Girl said...

Wow, beautiful quilt and I just adore the quilting! Good luck!

Sarah said...

Very nice quilt. I love sea and beach colours. My favourite part is all your clever quilting. Well done!

Carla said...

Great quilt and quilting.