Monday, January 12, 2015

Empty Nest Quilting

 Our nest is empty again. Bill and I helped Julia move into a new dorm room yesterday. There are perks to being an upperclassman, and she loves her larger room with private bath.

I've got a lot of projects to keep me busy. Last week was all about piecing. I love piecing! I love the process of cutting up fabric and sewing it back together. If the process involves some clever recutting and resewing, that makes me even happier!

Two examples from my recent sewing sessions:
Anita's Arrowheads for the back of my jelly roll quilt...


This is my new stash project. As I come across smaller pieces of fabric, I'll be cutting 8.5" squares for this project.


 I pulled out this Philip Jacobs' geranium print for my New Year post. I couldn't resist getting right to work on this One Block Wonder. I'm sure I bought the book, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I had to wing it! It was a blast cutting and piecing this top. Now I need to figure out what to use on the back.


 I'll be focusing on quilting this week, starting with this mini for the schnitzel and boo swap. I'll tell you more about it when it is done.


 When I cleaned out my storage area, I found a basket full of Orca Bay parts from 2011. There were lots of HSTs and hourglass blocks. As I was piecing other projects, I pieced together pinwheels from the HSTs as leaders/enders. In no time, I had a new project to assemble. I put the last 2 borders on this morning making this a 40" square wall hanging. Now this needs backing fabric, too.


 And one more to quilt. My friend Ellie was working on this table runner and lost interest. I'll quilt it up and donate it to our guild auction in October.


 Let's sum up...
Ready for quilting:
Jelly roll/Arrowhead
One block wonder
schnitzel and boo mini
Scrappy blues
pink/yellow runner

4 comments:

Julierose said...

oh absolutely gorgeous color combos on your projects--I like that arrowhead and the jellyroll too. Really nice works...hugs, Julierose

Sherrill said...

HEY, we're doing a lot of the same projects! I just finished up a jelly roll quilt for donation, have done a few arrowhead and scrappy mtns. blocks and need to work on those some more. I've got two with backs ready for the longarmer who does the donations quilts gratis and one more to get a back ready for. That'll be 3 donations in Jan. YAY!

Debbie said...

I'd say you have plenty to keep you busy! Have fun!

Somerset Wedding Girl said...

Love that blue and gold quilt, so luxurious!