Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Cool Side of the Rainbow

 Yes, another finished project! All this snow is making me super productive.

  
This little quilt started with improv blocks made from the cool- (not warm) colored modern scrap bin. I found the perfect pale yellow print for the border on sale at Joann's on Monday. I'm trying to not be such a fabric snob. I become more frugal at tax time!


Would you call these blocks improv, made fabric, or mile-a-minute? I guess it depends on how long you've been quilting. Whatever you call it, it works. I really did make a dent in this bin.
 

 Since I had this half-rainbow idea in my head, I quilted concentric quarter circles across the whole quilt. I "marked" one line with a hera marker and then just echoed that with the edge of my walking foot. I think you can see that I also moved the needle over to the right to make the spacing as wide as possible.


I used four colors of thread: turquoise, green, purple and yellow. I wanted to use a purple binding, but my stash is seriously lacking in purple. I think the stripe is fun and picks up all the colors. I bought the fabric for the back and the sleeve at Lorraine's yesterday. The green backing was only $2.99 a yard. Score! The owl print was just too cute to pass up. I could have used fabrics from my stash for the backing and sleeve, but these were too handy.
 

I do love the texture of parallel quilting lines. 


The Cool Side of the Rainbow
42" X 42"
Started February 8, 2015 (?)
Completed February 18, 2015

No comments: