Monday, March 16, 2015

Great Escape #30

 I'm unpacking from a terrific retreat weekend. I brought waaaay too much stuff! What was I thinking? For Julia and myself, I brought about 9 different projects (only touched 3) and 3 machines (never took out the Bernina).


Here's Julia with our quilting idol, Barbara W. Barber. At last year's retreat, Barbara was telling a story about the "illness" she suffers when she finishes a quilt and doesn't know what to do next. Julia diagnosed her with "Between Quilts Syndrome" and a quilt was born! If you click on the photo you can read the first panel of the comic strip.
 

Since there's not a really good picture of us together, I thought I'd go with this one that made me laugh.
 

Julia and I have wanted to make a NY Beauty quilt together for a long time. Last year, my LQS was kitting up block of the month blocks and I couldn't resist. I almost never work from a kit, but I knew we would never make this quilt without one. Julia pieced all the points after a little refresher and some new tips from mom. She sewed the curves on two blocks, and I sewed the other two. Please pretend that the blocks are perfectly square. They have been starched into submission! After we make the rest, we'll trim them up.
 

Our Saturday workshop was the Sunset pattern by Julie Popa. We did some prep work in advance, so many quilters were able to finish the top during the day. This is mine on the left and Suzy's on the right.
 

 I used my stash of orange, pink and red. Surprisingly, I did not use a white background. It is a cream with green dots that softens the whole piece.


One of the instructor's friends had pieced all her cut off scraps for the border, which I loved, so I did it too. I was able to get it finished just in time for workshop show & tell before lunch on Sunday.
 

It's time to start planning for 2016!

4 comments:

Rike Busch said...

*lol* And I thought I take too much things to a retreat or class. But it looks fantastic, what you have sewn.
Greetings, Rike

WoolenSails said...

It sounds like a wonderful retreat and so nice that you could share the experience with Julie. I love Barbara's work and style.

Debbie

Sue SA said...

The colours of your sunset quilt are fantastic, I especially like the pieced border, a great way to use up scraps and make the quilt a bit bigger.

Unknown said...

nice blog kadın giyim,elbise,abiye,kıyafet, tunik,kolye,bayan giyim,etek,uzun elbise,
moda kıyafet,marka giyim,trend,gömlek,tunik,şifon elbise, tunik,otantik kolye,triko,takı aksesuar,takı,gümüş küpe,günlük elbise,tozlu giyim,sexi iç giyim,sexi çamaşır,
fantezi kıyafet,fantezi iç çamaşır,hırka,yüzük,armine eşarp,gümüş takı,bluz,bayan gömlek,altın takı, ekose etek,bayan kazak,erkek kazak,siyah kazak,külot,sütyen,askılı sütyen,
gümüş kolye,altın kolye,sexy çamaşır,sexy iç giyim,sexy giyim,